Monday, February 8, 2010

BP4_2010021_Web2.0


e-Learning for Kids (http://www.e-learningforkids.org/) is a very neat site for educators to use in their classrooms. I browsed through the site and decided that it is an excellent supplemental tool for the elementary grades. If used properly the site can also assist those educators who teach learning disabled children. The site caters to grades 1-6 and categorizes the lessons by subject area. What I especially like about this site is that it is an interactive tool. Students can listen to the prompt and follow the directions. Once the student is done there is immediate feedback on how well they did and what's needed for improvement. I will add sites link to school web site and will introduce it at my next professional development.

Another Web 2.0 tool I came across was Tikatok (http://www.tikatok.com/). I was able to create a storybook. I wanted to find an actual site where it would provide the templates necessary to create a story. Not only did this site allow you to create a storybook from a selection of themes, but it also actually allows the student to draw their own characters or pull from something that's on their computer. I would have like for there to be a selection of pictures to choose from. I have been searching for a site like this to incorporate into a 3rd grade class. Though the site offers quite of bit of direction, there is another downside; cost. The cost of the PDF of your book is $2.99. If a teacher plans ahead of time for this project and notifies parents of the cost, it can be done. Another option would be to create a collaborative storybook and purchase one hardcover book for $25.00.

The search for great tools in the classroom is an ongoing process for me since I am continually holding professional developments for classroom teachers. I have begun to use my book marking tools for there are so may amazing tools to use, however making them work with our curriculum is another story.


9 comments:

  1. I've been searching for additional resources for language arts for the ELLs I service. This site is not only good for them, but for my native English speakers as well. What really caught my attention is the price. So many other sites that offer similar services can be really pricey. This one is reasonable and falls in line with the curricular focus that we're stressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great site, e-learning for kids. I have a pretty sereve needs autistic child in class, with high functioning/low comprehension skills. I'm going to use the e-learning site and design a special unit for him, focusing on resources and environments. I think that because they are designed at grades 5 and 6, he'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara. I do not know it Tikatok is a Web2.0 tool? I'm exploring it now. Does it allow multiple collaborators with more than one person on these storybooks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. D,

    Hmmm not sure... but I came across it on the Go2WEB20 (http://www.go2web20.net/#tag:e-learning) site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see. What make a WEb2.0 tool a Web2.o tool. That is the question. It must have collaboration aspect. Dig deeper and see what that is. Get back with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. D.,

    Good point... I would have to definitely look into that. I suppose I am unsure what makes a Web 2.0 a Web 2.0. Something interactive, something that can be shared... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamara,

    After reading your post about e-Learning for kids (http://www.e-learningforkids.org) I thought it would be a good idea to navigate trying to investigate about additional features. Besides all the important things you described on your post, I consider the fact that the site has implemented the option to access the information in five different languages it is a very important feature, that makes easy educators from other cultures can access the system.

    The founders of the site have had a wide vision, actually a universal vision that is perfectly compatible with the reality of the global world that unfortunately many forget.

    It is not just an excellent proposal, but also the opportunity the children between ages 5 -12 around the world can access through the Internet free courseware in several subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tamara,
    For a better understanding of what a Web 2.0 tool is or is not, refer to your Davies & Merchant book beginning on the bottom of page 2 through page 6. This should help to clarify matters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tamara,

    I like the e-Learning tool concept of being able to test and evaluate right after students are engaged with the tool. Many times we can create and design interactive tools for our students but never implement an evaluating tool to ensure students are able to improve and be successful. Nice tool. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete